Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

INAUGURAL POST

Hello!  Welcome to Positively Pop.  This is my new music blog.  I'll be posting reviews and news and opinions and not news, etc, etc.  And as you can tell from the name, I'll be mostly focusing on pop music.  Dance-pop, synthpop, indie pop, Europop, bubblegum pop, and just plain ol' pop pop.





But that's not to say that I won't sometimes wander outside the warm embrace of pop.  If there's something else I feel is worth telling people about, I will straight up tell you.

My main reason for making this blog is that I have felt for a long while now that there is too much negativity on the internet (and in real life, too).  I understand that negative music reviews serve a purpose, but sometimes it seems like journalists are just having fun eviscerating an artist more than they are actually writing honest criticism.  I feel especially bad for new artists who get bad or even mediocre reviews.  For example, if you are on one of your favorite music sites and they post several reviews a day and you read a review that gives a band you've never heard of a 5 out of 10 score, chances are you're not going to feel the need to check out that band's album (even though they may actually be amazing).  It's just a matter of not having enough time to check everything out.  So, I wanted to create a place free from negativity.  A place where music can feel safe.  If you see me reviewing something, I definitely think it's worth getting or at least investigating further.  If I don't like it, I won't review it.  (Full disclosure:  I may occasionally have mixed feelings about something and mention that)

In the next few days I'll be posting some reviews of songs I've been digging lately.  You've probably seen them posted elsewhere by now, but I'm just trying to play catch up/get into the swing of things.

So, pop fans, hope you enjoy it.  And pop creators, send me your music!  I can't guarantee I'll review it, but I can guarantee you won't see me needlessly bashing your tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment