Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

HAIM - FOREVER EP


Well, this was a surprise.  I was on Twitter earlier today scanning through the hundreds of tweets that all of the UK people had posted because they'd already been awake for most of the day (admittedly, I didn't wake up til around noon) and I saw one from songwriter extraordinaire, Hannah Robinson.  It was a YouTube video of a song by a band called Haim she said she'd been listening to.  And when Hannah Robinson says she's been listening to something, you listen to it, too.  So, I favorited it because Twitter doesn't have a "save for later" option.

So, after eating lunch and doing some work around the house, I came back to my computer to play the video.  But I didn't really look at it (it's just a still photo anyway) and didn't read any info under the video.  I was wandering around my bedroom doing whatever while the song was playing, but pretty soon after it started, I was paying less attention to what I was doing and focusing more on dancing all over the place and singing along (I never let not knowing the words stop me).  And I was thinking to myself, "Why have I never heard of this incredible 80s pop band called Haim?!"  So, after the song was over, I looked them up on Wikipedia and only found lists of people with Haim as a surname or given name.  "Huh,"  I thought, "Must not have been that popular."  So, I looked them up on Discogs and couldn't find them there either.  So, I finally decided to actually look at the video.

Turned out it was actually uploaded by the band in February of this year.  And there was a link to download the EP for free (which is very nice of them).  And yep, they are a new (or at least newish) band from Los Angeles, but I literally thought I was listening to an actual pop band from the 1980s for a full eight minutes, at least.  And I know for some people, that's going to be a turn off.  But seriously, if you are going to deny yourself the pleasure of a ridiculously amazing pop song just because it sounds like something that came from a decade that is not this one, then you are a masochist.  And that's a fact.  You cannot argue with me on this one.

Here is the song that blew my mind today.



And you can download the Forever EP here.  It has two more really great songs on it.  "Go Slow" is really quite beautiful. 

Thank you, HAIM.  And thank you, Hannah Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment